By Alexa Santory
We've covered impactful ways to detox the mind, today let's explore ways to detox the body. A swift Google search of the term “body detox” will come up with about 50 different methods of detoxing your body. Overwhelming, we know. But it’s important to identify which methods are going to be most effective based on your lifestyle and what you have access to. Today we explore some of our favorite ways to detox our bodies.
Start your day with lemon water
This one is a personal favorite! If you know me, you know I cannot start my day without a huge glass of water. No ice, please! Starting your day with water in general is a great way to flush yesterday's toxins. Take it a step further by adding lemon, which has amazing alkalizing properties.
- Lemon is a great way to help get your digestive system on track.
- Lemon juice is great for you liver and help stimulate proper stomach acid production.
- It’s also rich in vitamin C and potassium which boosts your immune system and your natural energy levels.
- Drinking a glass of room temperature lemon water in the morning helps flush out bad stuff and rehydrates the body after a night’s sleep (get your 8 hours!). And since all the icky stuff is being flushed out, your skin will be much happier, too. Drink up!
Here’s a great recipe:
Using every part of the lemon is the best way to receive all its incredible benefits! Try this:
- Cut 2-3 lemons into even slices.
- Place them in a pitcher (making a large batch at once is most efficient) and fill with water.
- Place the pitcher in the fridge or let it sit at room temperature for a few hours to allow all the nutrients to seep into the water.
- Enjoy! You can reach for the pitcher every morning for a nice glass of detoxifying and satisfying lemon water.
Used in Chinese medicine and Ayurveda for centuries, activated charcoal has some pretty incredible detoxifying properties. It binds poisons and toxins and flushes them out of the body. It also detoxes the body after eating low quality, processed food (*cough* fast food *cough*) and experiencing environmental pollution. Activated charcoal can also aid in fixing digestive issues, get rid of bad breath, and has anti-aging properties.
How to Use It
One of my favorite ways to use charcoal is in my skincare routine! Using it in a cleanser or as a face mask, activated charcoal works for your skin by pulling out deep rooted dirt and oil, plus it's detoxifying properties help fight acne, too. Charcoal is the star ingredient in Bollywood, plus its got honey, neem and green tea to soothe and unclog the skin. Try using Bollywood once or twice a week to detox and clear the skin--trust me, your skin will thank you. Creative Content intern, Jeanette, is doing a month long Bollywood Challenge every Thursday on our Instagram stories! Follow us to keep up with her progress!
Consuming activated charcoal is also a great way to exercise its detoxifying properties. It’s awesome at combating bloating and gas, and for coffee drinkers and cigarette smokers, it's a great way to whiten your teeth in lieu of those pricey whitening treatments from the dentist. Try including a quality charcoal powder in lemonade, it's the easiest way to consume it. Using charcoal in something like a green juice or smoothie won't allow you to gain the nutrients from the juice/smoothie.
Keep in mind
Activated charcoal is very strong. As we know, it's amazing at pulling out toxins in the body, but it doesn't discriminate--activated charcoal can also extract good things as well, like medicines you're taking to keep you healthy. If you're on prescription medication, do not consume activated charcoal. It can absorb and remove the good stuff.
Stick to consuming activated charcoal three to four hours after you've eaten. Consuming it too close to meal time can allow for the charcoal to extract the nutrients from your food. When it comes to activated charcoal, it's an amazing detoxifier, you just have to be smart about how you consume it.
You know we love Hey Fran Hey, check out how she incorporates charcoal into her routine!
Himalayan pink salt
The healthier option to processed, iodized salt (aka table salt), Himalayan pink salt contains 84 minerals necessary for your basic bodily functions. Seriously, why do we use table salt again? As far as detoxing, pink salt helps jump start our body’s natural detox process. It gets your digestive system on track and can help you feel less sluggish, and if that’s not enough, it also makes your food taste better! Who doesn't want that?? Pink salt in purified water has a slew of health benefits like detoxification, easing muscle cramps, and balancing blood sugar. Opt for Himalayan pink salt over regular table salt.
Also, Himalayan salt lamps are both super cute and a beneficial way to purify the air in your space. They’re essentially magnets for excess moisture in the air, which can carry pollutants and allergens. Cool huh? Positive ions released from our phones, computers, and other electronics can have negative affects on our immune systems. Himalayan salt lamps emit negative ions, which neutralize the dangerous positive ones and cut down our chances of being affected by airborne illnesses.
Plus, using pink salt, you can make a centuries old drink known as sole, which helps improve bone health, reduce blood pressure and aid in healthy digestion.
Check out how to make your own sole water!
Now, this is probably the bougiest option, but saunas are honestly amazing for detoxing the bod! Sweating is (although a lil gross) essential for our bodies. Not only is it the body’s natural way of cooling down, it rids the body of toxins that can make you sick, kills viruses and bacteria, and clears your pores. Saunas, with their extreme heat, cause you to sweat and take all that to the next level by helping to get rid of metals, plastics, and petrochemicals lurking under the surface.
We all (hopefully) use deodorant, but there are some pretty serious affects that we should consider before applying that sweet smelling sweat-stopper:
- Toxic chemicals like aluminum, parabens and carcinogens are found in most deodorants, all of which can cause cancer, especially in the breast.
- Skin irritants that get rid of good and bad bacteria are also in most deodorants, they can also cause skin conditions like dermatitis.
To extract toxins left over from constant deodorant use, try mixing equal parts bentonite clay, ACV and water until you've a got a nice paste. Apply this to your armpits and let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water. This will also help cut down natural odor over time.
- baking soda: rids of moisture and odor
- lemon juice: helps kill odor-causing bacteria
- witch hazel: removes excess oils and moisture
- coconut oil: protects against odor-causing bacteria
Other simple, yet effective detox methods:
- Eat your fruits and veggies! This keeps the body in tip top shape, and it gives you tons of energy.
- Get your body moving. Exercise helps blood circulation, which helps detox the body. Plus, you feel amazing--endorphins produced when exercising keep your spirits up, which aids in mental health.
- Take probiotics. They help with digestion, keeping you regular.
- Cut back on sugary foods and drinks. They're just..bad! It's totally fine to have junk food every once in a while, but regularly consuming this stuff makes you feel sluggish and does absolutely nothing for the body.
We've only got one life to live and one body to inhabit. Be sure to treat it mindfully and give it some special attention when need be. These body detox tips will improve your overall health and happiness!
The Streets Are Talking
"I have oily acne prone skin and some acne scars. When I used this mask it left my skin silky smooth. Also I noticed that the mask helped to minimize the size of the pimples that I have and eventually making them go away. This facial mask is an amazing product that I would definitely be repurchasing."