By Ari Edwards
This week it's all about customization!
Here at Belle Bar, we believe that YOU should be in charge of your beauty care, that's why we love the customization aspect of our products.
We know that picking out your very own ingredients can be sort of tricky, especially for newbies, so this week Ari and Jeanette take you through some of their favorite customizable hair and skin recipes!
Stay tuned to check out their recipes, ingredients they love, and how they put them to use. Plus they offer tips and tricks for how you can confidently customize your own beauty products.
Custom Strengthing Hair Tea!
When I'm rocking a protective style, I like to make it last. A lot of times we think having braids or twists means we don't have to do anything to our hair for the time being, but the truth is, that couldn't be more wrong! It's still super important to maintain a clean scalp and moisturized strands; it helps with the health of your hair and the longevity of the style. I like to keep my hair healthy by washing it (yes, you can totally wash your hair while in a protective style, check out this tutorial!) and adding moisture and strength a few times per week.
I was a hair tea newbie until I tried the Curly Proverbz x Belle Bar Green Tea Rinse, and after that I fell in love. I typically use a tea on wash days and a few times per week to add strength to my hair and stop breakage. I recently installed Marley Twists, and decided that this time around I wanted to customize my own super strengthening tea rinse, and the results were amazing. Here's how I make and use my very own customized tea rinse.
What's in it
cassia to strengthen the hair cuticle
lavender to help with shedding
maca root to also control shedding
aloe for a bit of moisture
bhringraj to strengthen the hair shaft
How I picked my custom ingredients
When making this tea, I knew I wanted something that would provide my hair with some powerful nutrients to strengthen my hair while it's in twists. I figured, I can easily add moisture with a leave in conditioner or refresher spray, but I wanted to be sure that I had a way to add strength as well. After all, I usually leave my twists in for at least one month, and its super important to maintain your hair at all times, even while tucked away for weeks. This in mind, when choosing which tea to use, I knew the Strengthening Tea would be my best bet.
Customizing teas on Belle Bar is a bit different than customizing a hair or face mask--the masks come with base ingredients, and all you have to do is choose the final three ingredients to complete your mask. The teas don't come with a base, so you get to fully customize these from scratch, which is pretty fun! We source our 120 all natural, organic ingredients from all over the world, and create each product by hand in our production facility. Since we carry so many awesome ingredients, in order to create a small batch recipe, or even create a list of options for the customizable recipes, we narrow down the 15-20 best ingredients based on their specific properties. This means that when you go to customize a tea or mask, you're choosing from the best options for your needs. It's pretty cool to have so much involvement in your beauty products.
I spent some time looking at the ingredients listed for the Strengthening Tea and chose those the ones listed above because they each cater to my needs and balance each other. It's the perfect recipe for me! When you go to customize a product, take your time, enjoy the process. It's so awesome to be able to see and choose each and every ingredient that goes into the products you regularly use, so have fun with it!
How to make it
- bring a pot of water to a boil
- add the tea to the tea bag and place the bag in the pot
- I like to let my tea steep over night, that way it's super strong
- the next morning I strain the tea bag and pour the tea into a spray bottle for use
- tip: keep the tea in the refrigerator so that it lasts
How I use it
- Three times per week I go in with the tea, spraying it on my scalp to stimulate the hair follicles, and throughout my hair to strengthen my strands.
- I make sure to squeeze each section to help the tea penetrate my twists.
- I like to add a little oil to my scalp and give myself a nice scalp massage--which is super relaxing and great for your scalp. Massage gets the blood flow going and encourages healthy hair growth.
- After that I follow up with a leave in conditioner on my twists for moisture. It's super important to maintain balance with your hair. If you add strength, you gotta follow that with moisture to even everything out and make sure your hair has everything it needs to thrive.
- I make sure to squeeze each section so that the conditioner can penetrate the twists, and that's it!
The Streets Are Talking
"Fantastic! My hair absolutely loves this tea rinse. My hair feels much stronger after use."