By Ari Edwards
April 11, 2018
Yesterday we covered "normal" skin, but since not all of us are blessed with such straightforward skin types, let’s talk about what’s going on with skin types that are a bit more complicated...
Skin that produces high levels of sebum is considered oily. People with oily skin tend to have enlarged pores and, due to the bacteria oil attracts, are prone to breakouts. Stress, hormone levels and certain medications can cause oily skin, but genetics play big role in your skin type too. Thanks parents!
What to do: Daily
- You know that crazy method where people with oily skin use oil cleansers to help calm sebum production? It works. Oil cleansers break down the sebum on your face like no other. Try cleansing with sweet almond oil to help clear your pores.
- Take toning down to a few times a week, rather than every day. Most toners can be harsh and dehydrating for your oily skin. Toners are meant to shrink pores, restore the skin's pH and provide protection, all good things! We don't want to defeat toner's purpose by using one with bad ingredients. Skin care products with high levels of alcohol are also too harsh and can be dehydrating for the skin. This will cause your skin to overcompensate and produce even more oils to balance out the moisture lost while toning. When you do reach for a toner, try a non-alcoholic one like good ol’ witch hazel.
- Just as certain products can dry out your skin, causing higher oil production, so can skipping moisturizer. Be sure to continue imparting moisture to your skin, just switch up the type of products you use. Opt for a light moisturizer.
Bollywood is the perfect mask for oily skin--the charcoal in it draws out all the oil and gunk, leaving your skin so smooth and clear. Definitely use this mask 2-3 times a week to keep your skin balanced.
Signs of dry skin are pretty apparent: slightly rough in appearance and to the touch, flakiness, tightness maybe even itchiness. If you’ve got dry skin you know the importance of maintaining moisture levels year around.
How to Deal
- Stick to a mild, gentle cleanser that won’t further irritate or dry out your skin.
- Try this amazing face tea as a toner after cleansing. It’s got awesome healing and anti-bacterial properties.
- Fun tip: once you’ve rinsed off your face wash, get the water in your sink as hot as you can. Cover your face with a towel, bend over your sink for a couple minutes and allow the steam from the super hot water to hit your face. Follow up with a thick, creamy moisturizer. The steam from the hot water provides a layer of moisture on the skin and the moisturizer seals in all that amazing hydration. Plus, this will feel quite nice and luxurious. It’s the little things, ya know?
- Before moisturizing for the night, add in a serum and eye cream to help restore the skin and lock in moisture. Eden is a great serum for all skin types, so it’ll be the perfect addition to your regimen; and we love @iamvanessae’s diy eye cream. It’s targeted at dark circles and has super hydrating ingredients, and they’re all natural!
- Giving yourself a nice mask twice a week will help amp up moisture levels in your skin and create a solid moisture barrier. Customize your very own moisturizing mask! We recommend including avocado oil because it’s great at penetrating the skin and almond since it locks in hydration.
The Streets Are Talkin
"I have acne prone skin as a result, I have a few acne marks. This mask has helped a lot. I saw a difference in two applications. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Belle Bar <3"
Teliza A. says...
"Nice, surprisingly absorbing"
"I have sensitive oily skin so I usually skip any moisturizer because I break out In the winter I struggle with combination skin. Usually, any moisturizer causes me to breakout. So I have dry, oily, and blemished skin. But this oil absorbed instantly and left my skin so soft. I used it with the rose mask and my skin has been problem free. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have cystic acne but I get acne. Ugly annoying hormonal acne that take a week or more to heal. Since I started using this regime I’ve been problem free. Love this stuff. My sensitive skin FINALLY gets the nourishment it deserves."